Tuesday, February 9, 2010

SNOW!!!!!

It was actually over a week ago, but it was on February 1st, 2010 that I witnessed only my second ever First-Snow.... I was walking with my friend in Katsuta, on our way to enjoy a meal at the only known Mexican restaurant in Ibaraki! The snow began to fall, and I do declare that when it is falling, the biting cold greatly its belligerence very quite noticeably. Of course, it stopped snowing later after dinner, and the biting was back - and it was nasty, too!
I returned to Mito, and it began to snow again- and again, I was able to wander in free abandon as the small, modest, yet wonderful flakes fell! Snow is not common in this part of Japan (a pity, because it seems to be the ONLY place it isn't common). That night and the next morning there was a fine layer of white ice all over everything, but sadly not enough light to take a picture at night, and not enough snow left in the morning to make it worthwhile then, either.
But it snowed here, nonetheless!
I will not be going back to Hokkaido this year, however I will be venturing to visit a friend in Nagano, the site of the 1998 Olympics. MORE SNOW THEN!!!!!!

If it must be Winter season, then there MUST be snow! Without snow, there is only nasty biting cold, and I still cannot fathom why people do not simply up and move to more temperate climes. I realise that this thinking is a product of my upbringing in rather temperate Sydney (where nary a snowflake will ever ever be seen). But come ON, people! Biting winters and sweltering, humid summers? I know where I want to be. Give me snow, or give me nothing!

From The Tominator.

No comments:

Post a Comment