Saturday, January 23, 2010

My first Essay!

I had a very interesting discussion today with my "Newsweek" class at the English conversation school I work at here in Mito, Japan. The beginning topic was Haiti, and the massive, devastating earthquake which hit it very recently. The class members (all Japanese adults between the ages of 30-70, predominantly male, (one female)) have once again shown their abilities to both appear interested and actually be engaged in the topic, which is remarkable given that I never really expected anyone to listen to me despite wanting it so much. Needless to say, this class is my favourite at this job I will soon be leaving.

We began on Haiti, but noticing conversation waning after the initial onslaught of facts from me a Wikipedia that were unknown to them before the class (the language, culture, ethnicity and brief history of Haiti, plus the correct pronunciation of the country in English), I steered the conversation toward the question of the USA's role in our world today. The article in question as, after all, to do with President Barack Obama's pledges to send aid in all various forms to Haiti.

It is THIS topic that I want to impart to you right now.
There exists in the fields of Political Science a plethora of questions. The most relevant for today was this: What is the most peaceful form of international order for this Earth to have? Unipolar, Bipolar, or Multi-polar????
I intend to write an essay on this. It will be the FIRST essay that I have written since graduating from the University of Newcastle (which I affectionately and privately moniker as "NewcU", though in this day and age people are either too simple or too scared to adopt it). It will also be the first EVER essay that I have written "for fun", that is to say I have not been prodded or indeed shoved roughly into it for sake of passing an exam or getting a grade on a paper. I actually look forward to it, which is something I have actually thought would be the case for a while, especially all those cold and lonely nights researching for Uni papers, wondering that if I could do this or that paper again, with time and the more comfortable attitude, then I would really really enjoy the experience! Let the great experiment begin!

From The Tominator.

No comments:

Post a Comment