Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Rain

I woke up at 12noon again today. I was intending to wake up earlier, so I could get some things done, but oh well, I supposed.... I can't change the past can I? Just gotta haul ass today!

Anyway, here in Mito today it is raining. I like the rain. I know for a fact that many many people in this world will look out the window when they awake and see the rain and think "aw shit!", and BANG, their day is ruined just like that.
Yes, it is wet, and yes, it may be cold, but as an intelligent being in an intelligent species, I thankfully don't have to walk around in it naked and catch a cold. This is the same species that invented space-suits, so think about it! ...And it doesn't bother me so much.

In fact, I like the rain.
I find it to be Cleansing. Pollution levels in the atmosphere are always decreased by rainfall. Back in Australia, I always preferred the rain to wash my car than do it myself. I love driving around the park in the rain, and I always liked being the passenger in the rain.
At home in Australia, we have a tin roof on our house. When it rains, you can hear it. When it rains hard, your can really hear it; and I think that sound is wonderful. I have lived in places with tiled roofs, and I am currently living in a damn apartment building, with four storeys over my head, so I can't hear the glory of the rain like I could before. But I can hear it through the window outside.
Furthermore, I love STORMS! My parents recently went to Darwin, and plan to go back during the wet season (called simply "the wet" locally). It is a season of weeks and possibly months of heavy tropical rain and brilliant storms, apparently. And the best part is that during the wet time of the year, no-one from subtropical suburbia (in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, etc.) wants to visit for the heavy rains, so tourist and travel prices should go down too!

I love the rain. I find it cleansing and even freeing. When I go out in it, I can imagine the rain is washing negative feelings out of me, when I have assumed the correct perspective on it.
I will admit that sometimes I do feel like the other people do, but that is when my mind is being warped by the same simple, dwelling perspectives of work and daily life that all the little, normal people concern themselves with all the time.

And after the rain, you can always smell the grass, that just-rained smell, and it is the cleanest this Earth of ours can ever smell.

From The Tominator.

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting and poignant way of describing the way in which you perceive the rain. I too think there is, or can be, something beautiful and emotive about wet, dark and seemingly dreary weather. It comes down to how you perceive it.

    In fact what I like about what you wrote is that you tap into an idea, albeit implicitly, that is very important and profound. That idea is that your emotional and psychological reaction to something is not determined by some a priori truth or predefined set of rules; rather it is determined by your appraisal and sense of a situation. This is something that is at the heart of psychology, especially cognitive behavioural therapy, yet it is something that keeps slipping from my mind.

    I, like so many others, keep falling into the trap of thinking in the normal, conventional, orthodox and banal way that is nothing but a dead end, uninspiring and boring. This is something that I shall endeavour to shake myself out of so I can continue to perceive everything, be it the world, other people, or my life, in a manner defined by me and my prerogative. So yes we can be happy even when the world tells us we have no reason to feel that way, and we can delight even when the rain is pouring down so hard the world is moved to loathing.

    ReplyDelete